Jobs for Teachers in the UK

Take your teaching career overseas! If you’re looking to discover where a career in education can take you, you’ve come to he right place. We are dedicated to helping teachers find their dream jobs that will make full use of their skills and abilities. There are many exciting and rewarding opportunities throughout the UK and we want to help you get there.

You may feel overwhelmed about finding the role that suits you best. We will help you every step of the way!

Our website has been designed to walk you through each step of the process with ease. Let us help you with this life changing moment in your life. We are friendly and professional and will do everything we can to put you at ease and make the process as seamless as possible.

JTR works with reputable schools that want to create the best possible learning environments for their students. This means you will become part of a team of professionals.

This team will work closely with you to ensure you enjoy your experience and that you are properly compensated.

 As for relocation, you will be supported throughout the entire relocation process. We will make sure that we work together to find the perfect location and school to begin this important step in your journey.


Teaching in England Helps You With

Your Teaching Career

When applying for a teaching job, you will fare much better with teaching experience rather than a period of unemployment on your resume. If you move to the UK there are a surplus of teaching jobs! You can boost your chances of future employment by heading to England.

It’s also a great opportunity to start a new life.

Teaching in the UK provide the perfect step-ping stone to gain experience and eventually find a job back home.

When you return home, after teaching abroad, your UK teaching experience is recognized by your home school board. This means that you are eligible for a higher pay scale!

Frequently Asked Questions

What qualifications do I require?

Teachers interested in working in the UK must hold a Bachelor’s Degree and be licensed to teach in their Province. Teachers who have a degree but no teaching credentials will not be considered for teaching jobs in the UK in public schools, and you must have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience to teach abroad.

However, some private and independent schools have different requirements. In England, QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) is the certification for teachers. To achieve this, teachers must complete specific training and pass standardized exams. Teachers from outside of the UK are able to teach in the UK for a maximum of 4 years before they must obtain QTS. If a teacher plans to work in the UK for longer than 4 years, there are further qualifications needed.

What about my QTS Status?

Canadian teachers with Qualified Teacher Status in their home country can gain UK QTS by submitting an online application form, which can be found here.

What is the typical cost of living in England?

The cost of living in England ranges from about £400 to £800 or higher, depending on what part of England you are living in. London is more expensive than smaller English towns, but there are many parts on London that can be cheaper as well. To make living in England more affordable, many teachers share an apartment with other people or they live outside of the cities they work in and commute.

For information about relocation, click here.

What are the Visa options for teaching in the UK?


The vast majority of Canadian teachers who move to the UK enter through the Youth Mobility Scheme. The scheme allows young people from Canada to enter the UK under “working holiday” status for up to 2 years.

 The eligibility requirements for this visa specify that you must:

  1. Be under the age of 31 at the time of your application.
  2. Hold a passport from Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand or Monaco.
  3. Have £1,800 available in your bank account 3 months prior to date of travel.

Find out more about application fees here.


Due to the critical shortage of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry teachers in the UK, teachers of these subjects are recognized as “skilled workers,” and, as such, are able to apply for a Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa if a school in the UK is willing to provide them with a certificate of sponsorship.

For more information on this visa, please click here.


You may be eligible to teach in the UK through a UK ancestry visa if both of the below conditions apply to you:

  1. You are a Commonwealth citizen (this includes Canada)
  2. At least one of your grandparents was born in the UK

To find out more about the UK ancestry visa, please visit the UK Border Agency’s website.


If you are fortunate enough to hold Canadian and UK dual citizenship, you do not need to apply for a visa to teach in the UK. Teachers who hold dual citizenship between Canada and a European Union (EU) country can teach in the UK without having to apply for a visa providing that they enter the UK using their European Economic Area (EEA) passport.

Teaching in the UK provides the perfect stepping stone to gain experience and eventually find a job back home.

JTR Consulting Ltd.

A recruitment agency providing flexible and permanent staffing solutions for individuals and organizations.

© 2019 JTR Consulting Ltd.

Copyright © JTR Consulting January 21, 2021

Website designed & developed by Fheba Design Inc.

cryptocurrency exchanges